Monday, November 4, 2013

Is procrastination supposed to help you?

This weekend, I was working on a project for my strategic communication writing class.  This is an online class, so I never complete the assignments and quizzes until the weekend they are due. This I chalk up to lack of motivation. #senioritis Granted, I always start mapping out the assignment the Wednesday before so by the time I am ready to buckle down, I've already done the hard part.  But this weekend, even after mapping out my assignment, completing these assignments were torture.  I had a hard time coming up with good writing material, and I basically threw away my entire Saturday because I just wasn't feeling it.  It was an unusual feeling because this is one of my favorite classes I've taken.

Sunday, I bit the bullet and completely revamped my assignment, changing the client and product.  And you know what? I don't think I had ever written faster or had that many thoughts come to my mind at once.

I wasn't aware of it yesterday, but after reading this article on Levo League this morning, and evaluating my past few years in college, I've realized that at its essence, procrastination is really just your gut feeling.  I didn't want to write Saturday, not because I was lazy, but because all the ideas I had totally sucked and I didn't even want to put those thoughts on paper and face reality: that I needed to pick a better topic.  I needed to start clean.  It can be hard to admit that, especially when you have finished one part of the assignment.  Is it worth it to give up and start clean with a blank slate?




So how does this relate to my past three years of college?  Between going into college not following my heart, and refusing to listen to my gut for two years, procrastination was really my saving grace.  Interesting concept right?  Procrastination gave me a second chance, a chance to start over with something I was passionate about.  The Levo League article gives the most important question to ask yourself: How would I feel if I completely removed this from my to-do list? Relief?  Then let it go. You're not giving it the 100% it deserves.  Discomfort?  Be truthful with your inner fears.  Discover the risk you can afford to take and still sleep at night.

And did you know, at its core, procrastination really means, belonging to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment